Sunday, October 16, 2011

9/11/11 9/11/01

It has been ten years since the twin towers came down. I remember getting a phone call from Chad, my ex-husband, while he was working at Starbucks. I was still in bed. I immediately turned on the tv and watched the news as it had started to report what was happening. It was a day of confusion, horror, and sadness. It was also a day or heroism and coming together. In the weeks and months that followed 9/11 the American people developed the strongest sense of patriotism I have ever seen. The amount of American flags that were put up on people's garages or hanging from the sides of work buildings was tremendous.

People were supporting their country but I also found that in daily life people supported each other more too. I am saddened that it took this kind of an attack to draw people together. But I am very thankful that they did.

It is hard with the election smear campaigns that take place and are starting to come out as people spend this next year campaigning for the presidency. The amount of close mindedness and a feeling of refusing to compromise is what makes people ugly. People are so focused on being "right" that they let their ego cloud their judgement of what is actually right for the citizens of this country.

On 9/11 many people lost family, friends, and loved ones. They are showing specials on the tv networks today showing the children of 9/11 who lost a parent they never knew and how they are dealing with the situation. It is a very sad occasion in our history but I also am so thankful for the heroes that came to the rescue that day. Thank you to all the police, firemen and medical teams that put themselves in harm's way to help others in need. I hope all of us can take a lesson from you and remember to do what is right to help each other and come together as one people.

I am thankful for the heroes of 9/11.

kk

No comments:

Post a Comment