Tuesday, October 11, 2011

8/17/11 Airplane Pillow

Ethan wanted to make a pillow for the airplane. He had done some sewing at school and really wanted to sew more. He had made a little "baseball" that looked slightly plumper than a coaster. White with red string. Since I never throw anything away I had felt from Christmas presents I made many, many years ago. I pulled it all out of the craft box and he picked the pink felt since it was the one that had the most left and he wanted a big pillow. Then we looked at the embroidery thread I had. I picked a maroon since he felt it matched the best. Smart kid. It did look great. I had no idea how we were going to stuff it. He thought we could use the other felt but I didn't think that would end up being squishy. I didn't have any stuffing like they used in school and we were running out of time before we had to get down to Lake Oswego where Jason was already at rehearsal before I needed to be there too. So I brought the plastic bag recycling tub in from the garage. I pulled out all the newspaper plastic bags since they were a good size and crumpliness. I had just enough. We used every last one and he didn't want one more. Good thing. Then he wanted to color on it so I pulled out some fabric pens I had. They didn't work that amazingly on the felt. It was a little smeary and got all over his hands. I said we should wait for it to dry some more and then maybe it would be better. I must mention that he sewed the short ends all by himself. He stuffed it too. I just gave him the material. So his drawings included happy faces, peace signs, and hearts. Who is this kid? Pretty amazing. All good things. We had fun and his pillow turned out very well.

I am thankful Ethan and I got to make a travel neck pillow for the airplane.

kk

No comments:

Post a Comment