Tuesday, November 9, 2010

11/8/10 Headstone Rubbings

In sixth grade I went to outdoor ed. It was so cool. I took archery. I learned how to cook a mini pizza pocket in a fire. I decorated a sweatshirt. I played capture the flag. I participated in a fun skit. I built a shelter in the woods to protect myself from bad weather. I made a wilderness survival kit in a big metal band-aid box. I took rubbings on designs from the cemetery stones nearby.

These rubbings were pretty cool. We used paper and crayons. Mine was green. People have done different processes to come up with a similar result. People use indentations or raised designs to color over to make a design on another sheet of paper. People use the sun to take the designs of leaves and flowers and "burn" them onto paper.

At Clark, the leaves from the many trees fall all around campus. Down on the lower campus is a sidewalk that is lighter in color. The leaves lay there and the rain drains the leaves of their color. The leaves eventually blow away or disintegrate. Left behind is the color of the sidewalk where the leaf used to be, surrounded by the color of the cement. It is like a stencil. Sometimes the look is pretty uniform. It is as if the leaf is still there. And sometimes it is like someone brushed the color mostly off to one side and you can see the leaf sliding away.

The leaves fall at many different angles from many different trees and have many different shapes and sizes. I like to look at the art that nature has provided in a semi=permanent way until the color finally washes away. Everyday I notice a different area that looks neat.

I am thankful for the natural leaf art on the sidewalks around campus.

kk

No comments:

Post a Comment