Sunday, November 7, 2010

11/5/10 Power lines

I attended Lewis and Clark College in Portland, which is how I ended up here. I came for school and never left. It was here that I remember my first time seeing shoes thrown up to cling to power lines. There were always at least one pair, if not more, in between the Spruce and Ponderosa Dorms. I don't know what it is about shoes dangling from power lines that makes me smile. I'm sure the power company doesn't like it at all. I'm sure there must be some kind of danger to them being there. Although if birds can sit on the wires, why can't shoes? Despite the annoyance I am sure some people feel, it makes me pretty happy to see them. I always wonder who threw them up there? How long did it take, how many tries, before they were successful? Are they throwing their own shoes, or someone else's? Do they not need them anymore? How did they happen to be carrying a pair of shoes? It must have been a plan, right? So then, how did they pick this location? It is fun to see all the different kinds of shoes that people throw. Different styles and different colors. Though they are all also very similar in a way. Too bad people can't decorate power lines with stilettos or slippers or boots. Boots are probably too heavy. Probably hard to throw too. But I would like to see some high heels hanging from some lines. That would be different and exciting. I guess I will just have to keep my eyes peeled for a more creative artist.

I am thankful for the shoes that randomly decorate power lines.

kk

No comments:

Post a Comment