Monday, November 15, 2010

11/13/10 Humor

I got my younger sister's wedding invitation in the mail this week. It is not your traditional invite. It is quirky and fun. On the outside is a very nice picture of her and her fiance. On the inside is a picture of them together making goofy faces. I think it is great!

My family has a very different kind of sense of humor. It is witty and goofy but also very intellectual and logical. People have a hard time telling me jokes because I tell them they aren't funny because they don't make sense. They've told me to just laugh because it is a joke. And I reply "But it isn't funny." We all find humor in semantics or the misuse of language by people who say one thing that means something else. It probably started when we were young and we asked our mother to make us a sandwich. Her reply was "Ok, what kind of sandwich would you like to be?" We learned quickly to phrase things correctly. If you just listen to what people are actually saying you realize that often we don't say what we mean. But in everyday speaking we know what they mean even if it is incorrect. But if you actually think about what was just said, it is quite comical.

It is hard to find people who actually "get" us then too. Especially since we are such a mix of what is thought of as funny. But I really enjoy our humor and that we all "get" it.

I am thankful for my sense of humor.

kk

No comments:

Post a Comment