Wednesday, November 3, 2010

11/2/10 Bridgetown

I grew up in Redmond, Washington on Education Hill. Driving not very far would take you to Snoqualmie Falls, Lake Washington, Lake Sammamish, Puget Sound, large bodies of water. I love Portland, but one of the things I miss most is all the water. The Willamette is not quite the same. I loved going to Kirkland or even just taking the 520 bridge. I love how, as a floating bridge, it divides the water into rough and smooth. Depending on which way the wind is blowing will decide which side is choppy and which is like glass.

When I was living in England I traveled in Amsterdam for several days. First I was giddy when I walked out of the train station and saw all the bikes in the parking lot. Insane. They were every where. I'd never seen anything like that. It was such a shock and it just tickled me. No cars, just bicycles. But then I was increasingly happy to walk across all the bridges they have in town. I watched people travel by boat down the canals, people living in their boats. It was so great. I think I would like Italy. I must go there.

Tonight, driving to OBA! for dinner as it was just becoming dark, I was memorized by the beauty of the city lights but also all the city's bridges. The St. John's, Freemont, Broadway, and Steel to my right, and the Morrison, Hawthorne, Marquam, Ross Island and Sellwood to my left as I crossed over the Burnside. Although Portland doesn't have large bodies of water, it does have some great bridges.

I am thankful for the many different styles, types, and sheer number of bridges Portland has.

kk

No comments:

Post a Comment