Sunday, November 21, 2010

11/19/10 Bad theatre can still be fun

I went to a show tonight that was, simply put, terrible. I was there on a comp, thank goodness, to watch a friend of mine interpret the performance. The show had been adapted to be set in a circus sideshow. So in the lobby were all different booths. I bought some tokens so I could support the theatre and also to get stuff! I bought a fake mustache. I got some fancy earrings. I ate some popcorn. And I had my fortune read. The fortune teller gave me a card "strength" to use in help deciding the order of the scenes in the show. So that was exciting too. I watched a woman turn into a gorilla. I saw a horse behind a curtain guess a man's birthday month. Then I sat and watched a really long hour and twenty minute show. I know it doesn't sound long, but it was torturous. I had already been warned that this was a bizarre and not quite awesome show so going into it I had no expectations and was able to have fun where I knew I could. The person I was watching the show with wondered why I was having so much fun beforehand. It was because I decided I would. I was having lots of fun with my mustache on a stick, I seriously contemplated feeding the hunger artist some of my popcorn, and the fortune teller told me when I would find true love. Only, really, she didn't. That was my question and basically she just told me that I was a great person and whoever met me would be a lucky man. That is not helpful Miss! Oh well. I had a great time before the show anyway. And it was fun watching my friend work. More fun than the actual show.

I am thankful that I am able to find a way to have fun even when I know the 'task' at hand may not be so enjoyable.

kk

No comments:

Post a Comment