Friday, November 19, 2010

11/18/10 Chugga Chugga Choo Choo

I grew up in Redmond, Washington and went to Lewis and Clark College in Portland, Oregon. During breaks, I would take the train home. I didn't have a car the first two years so it was really the only option to make it home without a family member driving down to pick me up and then driving down again to drop me off. I had never taken the train before. It was great! I would take the four hours to watch the scenery, nap, eat, read, and get my homework done. I didn't have to worry about doing homework over the break since I had used my travel time so wisely. Whatever I didn't quite finish, I could do on the train ride back and back at the dorm Sunday night. I didn't have to worry about driving and paying attention to the road. I didn't have to worry about other people driving and paying attention to the road. I didn't have to stop for gas, treats, or a bathroom break. This is the only train riding I've done. PDX to SEA.

Barb took a train to Minnesota or some place when she was in college for a project during J-term I think. I remember thinking that was so cool. A cross-country trip. I think they ran into some bad weather so it may not have been awesome 100 percent of the time. But growing up watching movies like "From Russia with Love" always made me want to take a train ride which required me to have a sleeper car. How fun. The traveling itself would be part of the adventure! I've taken cruises and they aren't the same. I don't particularly care for them. But a long distance train ride seems fun still. I'd like to take the train up to Vancouver, Canada and spend a weekend there. I'm not sure it's overnight though. Maybe I could visit my dad in Alaska. I am sure that would require a few days.

Today while walking I heard a train whistle in the distance and it reminded me of the traveling I've done and would like to do. I was filled with good memories and excitement at the same time. I live about 20 blocks away from a train yard and I don't hear trains almost ever. Every once in awhile. It is nice to not have to hear their loud engines or whistles all the time. I don't think I would enjoy liking right next to the train yard or train tracks, but I do enjoy being able to hear them every once in awhile.

I am thankful for train which offer a way to travel to a destination other than flying or driving where you can really enjoy the scenery. Not to mention the added bonus of more leg room!

kk

1 comment:

  1. The train to Vancouver BC is only an eight hour trip, so you get in about 11pm. If you decide you'd like to visit anyway, I've got an extra couch-bed and Atticus and I will be here until April.

    ReplyDelete