Monday, November 1, 2010

10/31/10 Longshore Woman

I have told this story several times but it never ceases to surprise me.

My younger sister's birthday is July 27th, mine is August 23rd. Erika wanted some yellow rain slickers for her birthday. My dad was currently living on a sailboat and I'm not sure if she wanted them for there or if she wanted them just for 'cause. When her birthday rolled around she got a pair. My dad was super excited and asked me if I wanted some for my birthday. In a way that I thought was very clear I said No! I do not want any. Do not get those for me. Guess what I got for my birthday? I don't think my dad didn't hear me. Perhaps I wasn't clear after all. Perhaps he forgot. Perhaps he felt as my father, he knew what I needed more than I did. I'm not sure the reason. Nevertheless, I got some firsherman slickers for my birthday. I was not happy. You should see the picture of me trying them on. It couldn't be any more obvious.

Now I think these are pretty expensive. Maybe not, I don't actually know. Maybe that just makes my story seem more dramatic. As a pack rat I didn't throw them out or give them away. Instead I saved them, unworn, for years.

My ex-husband and I started a window cleaning business. I washed the inside, and he washed the outside. I also did the pressure washing, which was probably the best part ever. Did I not have the perfect ensemble in my possession to pressure wash in? Yes! I pulled out my slickers and have worn those countless times pressure washing driveways or sides of houses. The pants are good to keep your legs dry and when it is also raining, as it tends to do here in the Northwest, the jacket was great. Add the sealskin gloves and a knit hat and you're good to go. I have been so grateful for those slickers since.

I was reminded of this today when I was cleaning the windows at the country club. By some divine intervention it stopped raining and I was able to clean without my jacket on, but everything was still wet. I tramp through lots of ivy with a 25 foot painters pole trying to reach different windows. I always get hundreds of fiberglass slivers in my hand from the pole, but I am never wet. I wear my slickers. Today it was especially good to have them because I was washing a window in the grille, right next to a table with a older couple at it, and walking up a hill of ivy backwards. In the ivy are a bunch of decaying leaves all brown and slimy and slippery. My legs shot out from under me and I fell right on my behind and was basically lying in the ivy. The woman at the table got up and looked out at me with a look of concern on her face. But I couldn't see her yet. All I could see was the man craning his neck and watch me laughing. I smiled to show I was ok and he smiled back. As I stood, I saw the woman and she slowly sat back down. I think it must have been obvious that I fell, not because they could see me, but rather that my squeegee must have hit the window quite loudly.

But I stood up and was completely dry. Thanks to my slickers to got as a gift around 15 years ago.

Today I am thankful for those slickers.

kk

No comments:

Post a Comment