Monday, December 13, 2010

12/9/10 O Tannenbaum

Today I had the day off from work. I scheduled it this way so I could go get my Christmas Tree! I had a job from 10-11 and after that I was free. Turns out the sofa people were coming today at 10. So I sweet talked Jason Glick in to meeting them at my house and accepting the delivery for me while I went to my job. Then he came with me while I looked at tree farms for a tree to bring home. I am so glad he was available. I would have had a much harder time getting my sofa and I would not have had any fun getting me tree.

I heard about this great place out in Boring. So we drove there. No one was there and no one answered the phone when we called the posted number. So we drove to one of the dozens of places we passed on the way there. No one was there and no one answered the posted number. Where was everyone? So we finally ended up at this one place where a very elderly gentleman came out of his trailer to "help" us. Pretty much the only thing he did for us was hand us a saw and some twine. I really wanted a Noble Fir, but they didn't have any so I got a Douglas instead. It is not my first choice of tree but I couldn't leave him after his being so cute. So I found one that was good enough and Jason cut it down for me. Then he carried it with one hand to the car. That's some muscles. I have never tied a tree on my car before in my life. The tree guys always do it. Neither had Jason. Well, the old man wasn't going to do it for us, so we tied it down and hoped for the best. It arrived home safely still attached to the roof.

It was pouring down rain all day except for the 10 minutes we were out chopping it down. Getting it into the house was a very wet experience. The water was running, not dripping, off the tree. I used up all my towels to dry off my hardwoods and then lay around the base while it continued to drip.

My tree is looking a little drier here in the evening and hopefully by tomorrow I can put some lights up. The Christmas Tree is one of the best things about the holiday. I am very Martha Stewart in many ways, but Christmas Tree decorations are not one of them. I have things that are all totally random that remind me of places I've traveled, things I've made, things I've been given. Nothing really matches and I like it that way. It is always nice to see the tree lights in the window as I pull into the driveway and then see the tree as I walk in the house.

I am thankful for me Christmas Tree.

kk

No comments:

Post a Comment