Tuesday, December 28, 2010

12/18/10 Secret Santa

When my parents first got divorced my mom had been out of the work force for over ten years. She found herself trying to figure out how to re enter it and figure out how to raise three kids at the same time. She needed updated skills and job leads. A resume and an idea of what she could do while still being able to be at home with us for most of the evening. There were times that she struggled and times where things were working out well. Right at the beginning was a time of struggle. One day she received a gift in the mail. An unsigned card containing 100 dollars. This is something she has never forgotten, a story I don't get tired of hearing and feeling blessed by, and something we both think about as we strive to pay-it-forward.

I was talking on the phone this evening when there was a knock at my door. I looked through the looking glass and didn't recognize the bald man holding two huge packages standing on my stoop. I opened the door, he asked if I was Kirsten and I replied yes. He handed me the packages with a card addressed to Kirsten and said Merry Christmas. I didn't know what to do or say. I said thank you and he turned around and walked away. The card had nothing more than my first name on it. The inside was not signed. I have no idea who sent me these gifts, but Thank You! My flannel sheets are worn out and have several large holes in them. I was trying to not turn the heat on in my house because I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to afford it. Suffice to say this fall and early winter was very cold. My secret Santa sent me a new pair of micro fleece warm sheets and a queen sized electric blanket. Now I can return the twin size I have been borrowing from my mom. These were really just what I needed and I feel fortunate to have people looking out for and taking care of me.

I am thankful for my Secret Santa delivery.

kk

No comments:

Post a Comment