Wednesday, December 8, 2010

12/1/10 Special Delivery

My younger sister and I used to play all different kinds of things. School, Store, I think I baptized her several times in Bathland, and we used to write or draw notes to each other and slip them under the other person's door. We had so much fun playing postal carrier.

My mother's roommate from college, who is also my older sister's godmother, has taken it upon herself to keep the art of letter-writing alive. She started writing to all three of us girls when we went away to college to help us not feel alone when we left home. She wrote at every major holiday. She used to always include seasonal confetti that would get everywhere when you opened her letters. She has continued this with all three of us and she has added many others to her list as well. I am not sure if my sister's keep up with her but I always write back to Marilyn. It is more like twice a year now, rather than six or so. Which is much easier for me to keep up with.

With the advent of emails, instant messaging, and texting, letter writing is becoming less and less frequent. Many people still send out Christmas cards but I think more people even do those online. Event and party invites are online now. Virtual greeting cards. It is evident that snail mail is becoming less frequent with the amount stamps go up every year! When all we are getting in the mail anymore is junk or bills, an actual letter handwritten and addressed to me is something I get very excited about.

We can call people on the phone and say beautiful things to them, but there is no memory of it when they are gone. We can send an email with flowery words but it won't be personal. I have a birthday card from my Grandma Kari, who died when I was in 8th grade. She lived in Chicago so I did not see her very much before she passed away. It had my name at the top with a comma before the Hallmark sentiments and ended with Love, Grandma Kari. That's it. Four words. But she wrote them and so a part of her is there that I can see. Her writing doesn't look like any one else's and I know it is from her and that she loved me. I still have that card and I think the idea of letter writing for posterity's sake is very important. Some people throw everything away. Other's save everything. I'm a big saver. Sometimes I keep ridiculous things, so perhaps a middle ground would be better. When people I love are gone I will have memories of them, but sometimes memories fade. With the letters I've saved from them, I can read them and it can help to trigger my memory and remember them.

I am a big fan of leaving notes too. So if you know me well, then I've probably written a note for you and left it somewhere for you to find. Just a little something to let you know I am thinking about you. I like finding notes on my windshield or in my luggage or in my lunch.

I am thankful for letters. Actual real physically written letters sent through the mail.

kk

No comments:

Post a Comment