Tuesday, May 10, 2011

4/23/11 Glass Blowing - kinda

Today I went back to Elements Glass and made an Easter Egg. I didn't blow the glass today like when I made my glass float. I did get to sit on the bench and shape the glass using the wood and metal tools though which was very fun. I really do want to take classes. The thing that working with glass really teaches people is: you get what you get and you can only control it to a degree. My glass float wasn't perfect. I wanted it perfect. But it isn't and that's just the way it is. My egg turned out pretty close to perfect. But gravity affects the molten glass in a way that you can't 100 percent control. Well, I don't think anyway. Maybe I'm just not that super amazing. Adding color is inconsistent and when you have to work with a team of people you can't control every little detail. I think this is an art medium that would drive me crazy in a way since I am such a perfectionist but also be really good for me. I would need to appreciate the art for what the art is, what it chooses to become. I can only help it along so much. Part of it is just left up to the nature of the beast. Is there a way to get classes paid for by saying it is good for me for personal development or something? If it makes me a better person shouldn't it fall under therapy or something? Do you think I can convince my insurance to pay for it? That would be great.

I am thankful for my experience making a glass egg today.

kk

No comments:

Post a Comment