Thursday, August 18, 2011

7/17/11 Vice Cream

A few years ago I got a great recipe book for how to make Vegan ice cream with different kinds of milk. Coconut, Almond, Cashew. Erin is allergic to nuts so we chose coconut milk for our vice cream making adventure tonight. She had fresh strawberries from Trader Joe's and I had agave syrup that we substituted for the prunes. I think we may have put in a bit too much agave and so it may end up being a little too sweet. The strawberries are already sweet. I think we could have toned it down. I remember making ice cream at my grandmother's house. We had to put it in this machine that had a wooden outer barrel that you filled with alternating layers of ice and salt. It was so fun to make. The best was vanilla with miniature chocolate chips. The machine I have now is simplified. You freeze the container it sits in and an inner layer of stuff is cold. Then you just plug it is and it is cold enough to partially freeze it before you put it into a container in the freezer to finish freezing overnight. We had so much fun making it tonight. I can't wait to eat some tomorrow. Yum!

I am thankful I have an ice cream maker so that I can have homemade ice cream!

kk

No comments:

Post a Comment