Thursday, January 13, 2011

1/5/11 Visual Aids

My family is so awesome. And a bit annoying to others perhaps, and ourselves at times, in our need for clarification. When describing colors of items we saw we need to describe it exactly including finding several similar colors around us to liken it to. We also pull out sheets of paper and writing utensils so draw maps of what we are talking about. We have also been known to use items at the table as visual aids. At restaurants no salt or pepper shaker, packets of sugar, or silverware is safe. I was reminded of this the other day at Barb's condo when she was describing an experience she had and started moving stuff around on her packed table to describe precisely what she was talking about. It was just after Christmas and mom and Erika and I were headed back down to Portland stopping by her place in West Seattle on the way. I was completely sick and lying on the couch and couldn't really see what she was showing and I was so sick that now I don't even remember what she was talking about. But I remember her moving gifts from Christmas and food aside to make room for her mapping. I remember smiling and thinking about how I had recently drawn a map for Jason talking about the tunnel on 26 and how it splits and where it does, and not too long before that I think Erika has done something very similar with items on my mom's kitchen table. Do other families do this?

I am thankful for my families ability and seemingly our need to use everyday items to explain our stories clearly.

kk

No comments:

Post a Comment