Saturday, January 22, 2011

1/18/11 Revisiting an old friend

When I was going through the Interpreter Training Program at PCC I found something that helped me. The program itself is very hard, grueling, and in a way, mean. You only get negative feedback. When you ask for things you are doing right the response was "if you don't hear about it, assume you are doing just fine." This is a pretty hard way to learn. It's stressful and hurtful. The program puts out quality interpreters but it is still a hard two years to come out the other side.

What I discovered was yoga. I would go in the morning before class. I can't believe the change that I felt inside. It is hard to quiet my mind. It is going all the time. But to take the hour and focus on breathing and body alignment and not the negative things, or the pressing things, or the homework or worry of whether or not I was going to pass the class or the program, was extremely helpful. I felt like a much happier person. I have not done yoga since the program but have always missed it. This quarter before I start work I am taking a yoga class at school. It is so nice to come back to it. I really must continue.

I am thankful for Yoga.

kk

No comments:

Post a Comment