Saturday, January 22, 2011

1/13/11 They make them with chainsaws

When I was younger, I would go with my family to the country club my grandparents belonged to for special occasions. Like Easter. We would go through the buffet, get an omelet that they made for us right there, and I would get a Shirley Temple. The whole experience was fun. The really cool thing was the ice sculptures they would have.

When I was in college we would have finals brunches with a similar feel. We had all kinds of fresh seafood, an omelet bar, carved meats, a doughnut bar where they made them right there for you while you waited, chocolate covered strawberries, a plate of danishes. My mom was always shocked when I told her what I had to eat. We would also have at least five ice sculptures. They had nice things but they also had ice sculptures of characters from South Park or other kooky things.

When I visited my dad in Alaska we went to an ice sculpture garden. There is a contest that goes on in the winter to come up with the best ice sculpture. We used an ice phone in an ice phone booth. I got stuck in an ice hot tub. I sat in an ice basket. We went down an ice slide. We went through an ice maze. And we looked at many cool scenes that had been sculpted.

I've always been fascinated by ice sculptures. How fun it was for me to start working at Clark and discovering that there is a unit in the culinary program that deals specifically with how to make ice sculptures. They pull out their chainsaws and make art. I think it is very cool. Then they leave them outside to slowly melt away. Pretty neat to carve using a chainsaw.

I am thankful for ice sculptures.

kk

No comments:

Post a Comment