Thursday, January 13, 2011

1/1/11 Lord of the Rings

Today was a great day. I went to bed before midnight last night and received all my well wishes for a Happy New Year this morning instead of "last night" when they were sent. I had a good evening so I don't see anything wrong with going to bed. I think it was last year that I was at my grandparent's house. We stayed up and went out at midnight all dressed in our warm gear and used wooden spoons to bang on pots. It was fun.

But this morning I was well rested. I went on a hike with Jason along the Wildwood Trail which winds for almost 30 miles through Portland's West Hills and up toward St. Helens. We started off Cornell and went for about a mile and a half before turning around. The air was crisp and cold. It wasn't snowing or freezing raining but there was ice in patches along the trail and in the woods. Walking down from Cornell we got to the bottom where there was a rushing brook. There was beautiful greenery growing up along a barrier at one point in the water and other big rocks and things that made the water at the bridge look good. Then we passed a rock cliff that was covered with moss. The moss had water frozen in icicles as it had dripped down. It sparkled and looked like something that should be in faerie land. We expected a door to open and a hobbit to take us into another place. It was gorgeous. Then we came upon an old stone structure that would be a really cool background for some photographs. We had a good time talking and looking at the natural beauty that we have right here in town. It was almost amazing except that I slipped on some ice and fell right on my butt just before we got back to the car. Darn. I almost made it. But we had a fantastic hike overall.

I am thankful for my hike today along the Wildwood trail.

kk

No comments:

Post a Comment