Saturday, February 19, 2011

2/6/11 Thank you

My mother worked very hard to instill the concept of thank you notes. The rule was we had to send them to anyone we weren't able to thank in person. We grudgingly sent them out for gifts we received for high school graduation, and to relatives in Chicago when we received Christmas presents. It was always a chore. It took me forever to get my thank you notes out for my wedding gifts. But now, I really like sending them. I like getting them too, but I think they are a thing that is similar to my love for actual paper mail. There is something special about getting a note from someone who takes the time to hand write a card. And now I like being able to send them to people. My sisters and I are very good at sending them. Most people I know are impressed when I send them. I think more people should send them. It should be more common than it is. And everyone should learn how to write one. I have a very simple formula you can follow that I will share at the end of this post.

Today I am sending one to my step-mother for the chairs. My thank you notes have a robot on them. They make me laugh. I like how you can get nice thank you notes for fancy occasions and you can also get them in very fun designs. Options are always good.

If you struggle with writing thank you notes, follow this example:

Dear _____,

Thank you for the _____.

I am going to use it for _____. / I can't wait to _____ with it. / I am excited to finally have one! (Something explaining how your life will change now that you have said gift.)

It was really nice to see you at _____. / I really missed seeing you at _____. / You are so thoughtful to have remembered I always wanted one. (An optional sentence that adds a personal touch.)

Thank you again.

Love,
Your name here

I am thankful for thank you notes.

kk

No comments:

Post a Comment