Thursday, February 17, 2011

1/24/11 Turtle Turtle

I am reading the top 100 banned classic novels. It has been a goal of mine for a long time and so I decided to get with it and start and finish. I will read them all, even if I've read them before. Books I was required to read in junior high or high school were read but I would like to revisit them and perhaps remember a bit more about them. So I've already read The Great Gatsby and Catcher in the Rye. I am currently reading The Grapes of Wrath. At one point a character picks up a turtle to take home to his family to eat. Not that I'm in support of the eating of the turtle, but it reminded me how much I like turtles. I had one once. Only for a short time. They require a lot of cleaning. They are messy and icky if you don't have the proper environment for them. I had never really seen one up close until I got one though. Their faces are much more like that of a snake than the cute cartoons you see on TV. I ended up having to return it since I couldn't take care of it well enough. Erika really likes turtles so I always end up looking at turtle shaped magnets or things when I'm on vacation. Although her current favorite animal is a goat. She cam over tonight to pick up her wedding cake I had stored in my freezer since they had a hankering for cake. She had brought me back a magnet from Mexico and I picked the turtle. They were in my head from the book and so I think it was meant to be. I'd like to go volunteer to help the baby turtles get to the water in South America, or wherever it is. I should look into that.

I am thankful for turtles.

kk

No comments:

Post a Comment