Thursday, February 17, 2011

1/26/11 Dissocia

Tonight I went to an industry preview for the show "Dissocia" at the Third Rail Theatre. The first act is visual and auditory stimulation overload. I was also very tired so I don't think that helped. But Act two is all about showing the stark contrast. The main character, a woman, is mentally ill. The first act shows how her life makes sense to her when she is off her medication. What she sees, what she experiences, what she hears. It is zany and goofy and funny and all well and good until you see the opening scene of Act two with her in a hospital gown in bed. It shows her struggles to come back as she starts to take her medication on a regular basis again. It shows how her relationships with others are strained when she goes off her medication. I don't know how people live their life without medication if they need it but can't afford it, or how they live dependant on pills, or how people around them live with mental illness. Everything about it seems so hard and confusing. On everyone. I don't understand why anybody has to deal with it. It isn't fair. But,

today I am thankful that I am not mentally ill.

kk

No comments:

Post a Comment