Tuesday, April 26, 2011

4/2/11 Would You Like to Buy My Younger Sister?

Even though she tried to sell me at church when we were small, today is my older sister's birthday. She is very artistic and very creative. She is very smart and is successful. She was someone who always made me work hard is school since she did so well. She did well scholastically and the teacher's loved her. She played a lot of sports that made me want to try them when I went to junior high. She left a legacy behind that made me work really hard. I think she's smarter than me so I never did quite as well as her, but I did pretty good so I think the high standards she set for our family were good for me. Instead of being mad that all the teachers were excited to know that I was her younger sister and comparing me to her, I was hopeful that I would be liked just as much. I think I was. I don't think I was a teacher's pet specifically but I liked going to school and learning. I liked participating in class and having meaningful talks with the teachers. I was respectful and "mature for my age." How could they not like me too when we were both such good students? I was delighted to hear that my younger sister heard about how we both had been so great to have. I wonder if that sucked for her though. Being compared to two older siblings must be hard.

Barb is naturally talented in all things art. I think so at least. She can do anything and have it turn out amazingly. Her artistic talent is something I am jealous of. I can't draw at all. I'm pretty crafty I think. Give me directions and a picture of what it should look like and I can do a pretty good job of making it. But coming up with the idea is super hard for me. And actually even if I had a picture of something I was supposed to draw I don't think my hands would be able to copy it very well. I think I'm ok at stick figures. Rocks. Clouds. Actually I think I can draw palm trees. Jennifer Steele taught me in fifth grade and I can do those ok, but everything else is not so great. Kind of like a kindergartner. Oh well. I really want art to be a part of my life and I still continue to try and do artsy things. I think the ease at which she is able to do things makes me work hard at trying to improve. I know it will never come easy for me but I keep working at stuff. The one thing that is lame is that she doesn't do anything artsy for her work. Maybe she is satisfied with it being more of a hobby for her and that's great. Maybe I'm biased since I'm related, but I don't think so. I think she should be selling her stuff. Oh well. She still does a great job.

I am thankful for Barb.

kk

No comments:

Post a Comment