Wednesday, October 27, 2010

10/27/10 sound

I know and work with some amazing Deaf people. I am a firm believer that a Deaf person can do anything a hearing person can do, except hear. And for many Deaf people, they don't mind or care that they can't hear. They were born Deaf and have a rich culture and language and therefore feel whole. They only face a lot of problems in trying to deal with ignorant hearing people. Given the choice between blind and deaf I would definitely choose deaf. I already know the language and I think I could get by without hearing. I think not being able to see would be much more scary for me. But there are definitely things I would miss. The sound of the ocean, the sound of the wind as it blows through the fall leaves, music, children's laughter, the phone.

I am thankful that I have my hearing and can enjoy all the sound around me.

kk

No comments:

Post a Comment