Thursday, October 21, 2010

10/21/10 cookies

You know that saying "A way to a man's heart is through his stomach"? If you were to replace the word 'man' with 'kirsten', that is totally true. I mean, it may be true for men, but it is definitely true for me. I love food. Well good food. And particularly dessert. I am predicting many posts about food in the coming year.

I have always been a great baker and a pretty sucky chef. I guess that works out for me that I like what I prepare. Maybe it would be better to not like it. All that sugar is definitely not good for me.

Anyway, today for lunch dessert (yes i can have dessert multiple times a day) I had some macaroons drizzled with chocolate. And by some I mean the 3 I bought for a dollar. I tried to justify it to myself by thinking that it was a better deal and I did intend to share. Yesterday someone shared a half a poppy seed muffin with me so I thought I would bring him a cookie today. You know, return the favor. He's done a lot for me recently: chopping kindling with a crowbar to send home with me after work, buying me hot chocolate, and sharing his muffin. So I thought "Great! I will get three, eat one and share two." So I ate one. Then a second, I could still take him one. Um, and then I ate the third. It's not like I promised it to him, he didn't know I bought it for him and then ate it. But they were delicious! And I do feel somewhat guilty.

Growing up my mom would bake cookies the way she liked. I always wondered why they were so hard and flat. My friends always had cookies that were plump and chewy. I thought maybe my mom just forgot about them in the oven and accidentally overcooked them. One day I was horrified to watch her take the cookies out of the oven at the halfway point, slam the cookie sheet on the stove to flatten them out, and stick them back in to finish cooking! She was doing it on purpose! It's funny how people prefer to eat cookies. But I have to say that for the most part people like cookies in general. You can eat them without a plate or silverware, they are portable, they are delicious warm or cold, as dough or as ice cream sandwiches or even as giant cookie cakes. What a versatile dessert. And there are so many different kinds! Truly there is a cookie for every occasion. Gotta love 'em.

Today I am thankful for delicious cookies.

kk

No comments:

Post a Comment