Sunday, October 24, 2010

10/23/10 Rain! And more rain!

No computer access yesterday means that I am posting on the 24th for the 23rd.

Pouring down rain reminds me of a day my senior year in high school. One of my best friends and fellow puddle jumper, Jennifer Steele, and I had taken the ACT one rainy Saturday morning. Or, at least I had. Afterward we decided to take advantage of the rain and drive around downtown Redmond in search of great puddles. We were still conscious of my mother's car I was borrowing and brought towels to cover the seat. As seniors in high school, how many people can say their idea of fun was to responsibly play in the rain? Some might call me boring. But I think water is super fun. We used to have water fights all the time at home. But that's a story for another day. So, Jennifer and I managed to find some pretty good puddles at various places, but the best one was in a little parking lot of shops just off the big QFC parking lot. There was a grate in a dip that was clogged and so there was a large pool of water that had collected. We jumped and jumped. People driving passed us honked and waved, including the police. We laughed and splashed and had a great time.

A half an hour later, or so, the police came by again and this time pulled into the lot. Jennifer and I had dared each other to sit in the puddle and we waved and smiled to them as they pulled up. I'm not sure we even stood up and the officer approached us. He started out conversationally and kind of sounded like he was joking when he asked us if we were testing the "water-proofness" of our pants. We laughed and said something. Yes or no, it doesn't matter. We were still jovial. Then the officer sternly tells us to stand up. He asks us if we are on drugs. First of all, if a person was on drugs would they really be playing in the rain after putting on their rain gear? We tell him no that we aren't on drugs. He tells us repeatedly that it isn't against the law to take drugs. I think he's trying to make it seem like if it isn't against the law then we won't be afraid to tell him? I don't know. I reply that it is against my moral conscience to take them whether or not it is against the law. And isn't it better for us to be playing in the rain than to be taking drugs? We said we've been here for some time and cars have waved at us. He replied that he drove past us and was the cop car that waved to us, but that some people had called and complained and thought we were on drugs. How would they have even known? No one had come within 30 yards of us. He shines a flashlight in our eyes and has us follow it. He asks us why our eyes are telling him we've been doing drugs. He asks us what we've been doing and what we've had today. I said I took the ACT this morning and all I've eaten was a soft boiled egg. Jennifer had had Tums. This to me is ridiculous. I'm a bit of a defiant person when faced with authority so although I am a little scared I'm also a little upset. He's lying and treating me like a criminal, which I am not, so I am actually becoming angry. And I know policemen have to identify themselves by their name and he never did so, so I'm feeling like I want to kind of be snotty in my responses. Thank goodness Jennifer was there, she was much more level headed and knew how to behave properly. He asked us what we would do if he brought out some breathalyzer or drug test or something to test us. I'm thinking Yeah, go ahead and try buddy, but Jennifer calmly responds that we would be more than happy to take it. So I politely respond affirmatively as well. We called his bluff. He said that he wasn't going to do that but since this is a busy parking lot, it isn't safe so we should go somewhere else. But we were in a side lot with no traffic! Whatever. So we got in our car and went to some office building parking lot but the puddles just weren't the same. But overall, it was still a fun day.

I am so thankful for my wonderful friend Jennifer Steele and her shared love of puddle jumping. I am thankful for playing in the rain. It is something I miss doing since I've moved to Portland and away from her. I don't have a friend here in Portland yet that shares my affinity for puddle jumping. I may go out into my own street this Fall/Winter and jump on my own. Maybe I can convince the parents of my 3-year-old neighbor across the street to let him come out and play with me...

kk

No comments:

Post a Comment