Wednesday, July 27, 2011

6/22/11 They Always Come Super Early

I hardly ever get to see them because they come while we are all sleeping. But it makes me really happy when I see a street cleaner. And I like when the streets have been cleaned recently. I find it kind of a silly concept to wash a street. And they only really clean the sides of the street and if there is a car there, they just drive around it and don't worry about that area. I'm not sure of the reasoning behind washing the streets. They only use water as far as I know and big rotating brushes. Is it just to try and cut down on dust? I don't think it does anything for oil spots from cars parked there. And it isn't like they really use a lot of water so the streets aren't even really clean. Just kind of damply brushed. The car/machine reminds me of a Zamboni. And really that is one of the best things about watching any sport that takes place of ice too. Just a big machine that drives around in circles spraying water. Funny. I like them. This morning I saw that my streets had just been cleaned and it made me happy. How do they decide when to clean the streets? Is there a normal schedule? Do they only come at specific times of year? Does it depend on how many dry days we've had? It always seems to be random so I'm not sure how the city decides to clean the streets. Also, is it a necessary expense? It seems like that is something they could cut from the budget. Not that I'm suggesting it. Then those people would be out of a job and I wouldn't have fun wet streaks down my nicely cleaned street. But I just don't understand the purpose of it. Does anyone know?

I am thankful for street cleaners!

kk

No comments:

Post a Comment