Wednesday, June 15, 2011

6/12/11 Alex Montoya

Today I received a call from my boss informing me that our dean, Alex Montoya, was killed in a tragic auto accident yesterday afternoon. It was a fluke accident and is very devastating. I just saw him at Spring Thing on Friday. He was across the way eating while I was standing in line for food so I didn't say anything to him and didn't see him later. Now I wish I had said Hello. It wouldn't have changed anything I suppose. But I really liked him and feel badly that I didn't get a chance to talk to him. It is a shock for everyone and we are all trying to figure out how to deal with the news. He has four children and his twins were just born 6 months ago. His oldest daughter is 16; his oldest son is 13. He was very involved with the students here and was a coach for one of the local sports leagues. He was dedicated to learning and higher education and very involved and supportive of all the students he came in contact with. This loss is having a huge effect on our campus and will for the community as well. I pray for his family.

I am thankful I knew Alex.

kk

No comments:

Post a Comment