Thursday, March 10, 2011

3/9/11 Ash Wednesday

Today is the first day of Lent. I look forward to Lent every year. They are the best church services. I have rehearsal tonight so I am not participating in Ash Wednesday. And next week I have a conflict but then I plan on going the following Wednesday nights if I can. My family doesn't give up anything for Lent. I've heard that mostly it is Catholics who do. I started giving things up in High School. I'm not sure why, especially since no one in my family ever had and still hasn't to my knowledge. But I like the idea of giving up something that I enjoy to be thankful that God "gave up" Jesus for me. I also know people who haven't "sacrificed" anything but instead have added something. One person started volunteering at the local soup kitchen to help people less fortunate than themselves. I really like this concept a lot. When you give up something it tends to be an inward focus. It is important to better ourselves as a person. Hopefully we've given up something we shouldn't be having anyway and that can become a habit thereafter. Often people just binge on Easter which isn't quite the point I guess. But, by taking the focus outward and looking at how to help other people, how to better our community, how to build and foster relationships with others seems to be a great way to celebrate.

I am thankful for Lent and the opportunity to better myself and help others.

kk

No comments:

Post a Comment